Monday, June 30, 2008

First Weekend

This weekend was very busy. It all started with Thursday night when a bunch of us went to the oldest watering hole in Plymouth. It was great, on Thursday nights a bunch of locals get together and play their instruments and sing songs. A couple people joined them and got to play the little drum that was there.

Friday afternoon we had our weekly “news” and then social after classes to close out our first week together. That night we took our tour of historic Plymouth watering holes. I think we made it 6 different places, there was lots of dancing and we got to meet so many people. There was a “hen” party that included many of us in their little games. (A hen party is what they call a bachelorette party in the UK.)

Saturday I was up early to go on a morning hike. The schedule had us back by noon- HA! At noon were done with the hike and had nice lunch at a seaside pub, . . . but then . . . we had to hike back! So our morning hike didn’t have back to our dorms until after 4pm. It was a nice day to be out though, I would have hated sitting inside all day on such a sunny pretty day so it was good. Luckily I was able to write the first pages of my paper in just 2hrs, so I was still able to go out to dinner and then see Wanted. (I do NOT recommend this movie, as I am certain we are all a bit dumber for having sat though it all.) When I got back in I revised my paper, added a few big words to make it sound like a grad student could have written it and submitted it around 1am. It was due at 8am so I was a whole 7hrs early (YAY me).

Sunday morning I was up early again to walk to church. The nearest one I know of is only about a mile away and it is really nice. Afterwards went and had a traditional English breakfast (eggs, potatoes, tomatoes, baked beans, and toast), except I had coffee instead of tea. I got more homework done, a few readings and some research for my project. Then I was able to join everyone in the courtyard for another social, this one included a bbq.

I love grad school.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I know you love to hike and run, you must have had a great time. Careful with all the watering holes. So, what exactly goes on in a hen party?? Take care miss you.

Linda said...

Hen party's are just like bachelorette parties. Going to bars (pubs), drinking, dancing, generally just being outrageous. They had a lot of fun, can't really say in public some of the things they were doing, needless to say they were have a GREAT time.