Monday, June 23, 2008

Plymouth

I can't tell you how glad I am to be back in Plymouth. Before I begin, though, I need to tell you about my brief stay in London.

I forgot to mention about my train ride from Edinburgh to London. At the beginning of the trip we were told that our trip was going to be rerouted so two train loads of people were going to be crowded onto one train. I got lucky enough to sit next to a bunch of stereotypical Scottish men (all but the kilts). They were loud and very forward, drinking heavily already underway when I joined them at 10:30am, yes I said AM! Immediately I was offered a glass of red wine, cider, and beer. They were very nice and fun to sit with for the next 2 hours. They got off before I did and most of them gave me hugs and kisses as they departed, asking me to meet them in NY when there would be there or maybe even Vegas. There were also two marriage proposals.

In London I made a bad decision on where to stay but no real problems at the hostel so I guess it wasn't so bad. But I did lose my credit card, or was stolen, or evaporated, or whatever needless to say - it's gone. The card is now canceled and it seems that no extra charges were made, Chase is even mailing my replacement card to me here in England (at no charge).

The Harry Potter portion of my trip brought me to King's Cross and yes - Platform 9 3/4 does exist, I was there. I have pictures to prove it; you can see me pushing a cart through the barrier. You can only see half the cart in the picture, since I am going through. The first time I was there (yes I did go twice, since I am THAT much of a nerd) I met some really nice young ladies. You will never guess where they were from- PHOENIX, AZ!! Imagine meeting other Harry Potter freaks from your own hometown on the other side of the world. We were all very excited and happy to have a moment with a little bit of home.

------
Plymouth is GREAT!! I can't wait to tell you all about my experiences here for the next four weeks. I have spoken to the hospitality director (Jean Pierre) and offered to help on any tour as long as I was always guaranteed a spot, and JP seemed open to that idea. But, tours are currently up for debate due to the rising cost of gas and the fact that the old driver moved to Thailand (making is difficult for him to drive us over here).

No comments: